Saturday, October 6, 2012

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars

It's been awhile since I've posted anything yummy that Jon and I have made.

Come to think of it, it's been awhile since we've really made anything all that yummy.  I mean, we make dinner together several times a week, but since we've been so busy lately it's been the same old thing most nights.

Until today.  I've felt extremely productive today.  I woke up at 6 am all on my own...thank you PICU for waking me up so early so often, because now I'm just used to it.  And sleeping til 6 felt like I had slept in!

So I got out of bed, and really got a ton of stuff done.

Including looking on pinterest for an inappropriate amount of time.  But I was on a mad hunt to find something that would satisfy my pumpkin and sweets craving without going straight to my hips...or other places weight seems to be creeping on!

And then I found THIS... and while it looked good, it didn't have pumpkin.  So, I made it my own!

And I think it's awesome!

Plus, it was super easy to make, and I didn't have to go to the store for anything...always a bonus!

Oh, and I didn't mention that there is not one bit of flour or refined white sugar...the base of the cookie is chickpeas!

Yes, I said chickpeas...but I promise it is good...and you won't even be able to tell!  So give this recipe a try, and let me know what you think!

Ingredients:
-1 can chickpeas
-1/4 cup + generous spoonful natural PB
-slightly less than 1/2 cup canned unsweetened pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
-1/4 cup agave (or honey, or whatever sweetener you choose)
-1 tsp baking powder
-2 tsp vanilla
-pinch of salt
-dash of allspice
-generous dash (or 2) of pumpkin pie spice
-1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used milk chocolate because that's what i had, but semi-sweet would be good too!)

Directions:
1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees
2.) Combine all ingredients except the chocolate chips in a food processer.  As you can see, I tried using a hand mixer because my food processor is small, and not all that....hint hint *upcoming birthday* : )  But, the hand mixer doesn't make the chickpeas smooth so you definitely do need a food processor!
3.) Once everything is mixed, spread in a baking dish. The original recipe rolls into cookie dough balls, but this was too moist with the pumpkin...so bars it is!
4.) Place in oven for about 40-45 minutes.  I tested this every 10 minutes or so until a toothpick came out clean.

5.) And enjoy...the best part!  As you can see we almost polished off the entire pan!

Hope you have a *sweet* weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment