Monday, January 23, 2012

Not Missing what I'm Missing


For the past few months, I have been working my booty off to complete a 50 or so page application to obtain a grant for a research study I've been wanting to do in the PICU.

Whew, that sentence was even exhausting!

A few years back, I did a quick study on noise levels in our lovely PICU. The results??? We are WAY too noisy! As are most other PICUs across the US...and most other hospital units in general.

Seeing as noise is our number 1 complaint on our satisfaction surveys, I wanted to do a better research study on this...and attempt to improve it!

But I certainly couldn't do this study without funding. This is where the Shaw grant came in. So I recruited a friend who is way more versed in research than I am, and we became co-investigators in the PICU noise study.

After a few months of preparing the Shaw Grant and figuring out all the details of our study, we turned in our 52 page application. This was after 2 meetings with the research head who gave us less than ideal feedback.

So we basically were not super hopeful that we would get approved...and if we did, weren't sure they would give us ALL the money we were asking for!

But, about 2 weeks ago, I got the call that we were accepted!!!!

And ALL of our requested money was approved!

Holla...to the tune of almost $15,000!!!!

So the Grant reception is today. All of the recipients of this award get to go up on stage (isn't this everyones dream!?) and receive a certificate and flower. Except I don't get to go.

I'm missing my carnation and certificate ceremony for this great accomplishment!

But I'm not disappointed!

BECAUSE....I'm in Denver!! And since Denver is not home, that means I'm on vacation. It was a very last minute thing, but Jon's company sent him on a business training here for the week. And I decided that I definitely needed to tag along.

So I have a bunch of magazines to catch up on, my new fancy schmancy camera that I got for Christmas that I so don't know how to use but am going to learn this week, and my running shoes that will get put to great use on this beautiful mountainous/hilly terrain!

Yeah, so I'm not missing what I'm missing back home! I'll be perfectly content to enjoy all of the beauty and food that Denver has to offer!

Gotta love last minute vacation surprises!

And I know that when I get back, the grant money will be a welcome home prize good enough for me. I never really did care for flowers anyways!

No comments:

Post a Comment